3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
4 Trust ye in the Lord for ever: for in the Lord Jehovah is everlasting strength:
5 For he bringeth down them that dwell on high; the lofty city, he layeth it low; he layeth it low, even to the ground; he bringeth it even to the dust.
6 The foot shall tread it down, even the feet of the poor, and the steps of the needy.
7 The way of the just is uprightness: thou, most upright, dost weigh the path of the just.
A Mind at Peace
By Sarah Seagraves
I have quoted Isaiah 26:3 numerous times over the years. It is one I share with others that deal with anxiety as I have. I recently taught a lesson that focused on how we think. Some of the material came from a lesson I heard Sis. Tenney teach on. She said, “We need to THINK about our thinking! Mind your mind! Pick what you ponder!”
Why is this so important? Proverbs 23:7 gives the answer. “For as he thinketh…so is he…”
The Bible has A LOT to say about our minds:
- Proverbs 4:23 (KJV)Keep thy heart (mind) with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life. (NCV) “Be careful what you think, because your thoughts run your life.” Thoughts precede actions.
- Hebrews 12:3 talks about being weary and faint in our minds
- 1 Peter 1:13 says to “Gird up your mind…”
- Philippians 4:8 gives us a list of things to think on
- Romans 12:2 tells us to renew our minds (bring it back to its original state, how God created it!)
- Ephesians 5:26 tells us how we can sanctify and wash our minds “…with the washing by the word”
What are the results of wrong thinking?
- Destroys faith
- Creates fear
- Produces depression, resentment, rebellion
So what are some results of right thinking?
- Trust in the Lord
- Increased faith
Trust is disciplined thinking. We have to train our minds to TRUST in God.
Ideas to keep your mind stayed on the Lord:
- Place sticky notes with scriptures around the house. I actually had a friend create a beautiful picture of Philippians 4:13 that hangs on my bathroom wall. When I am overwhelmed I can look at that picture and proclaim, “I CAN DO ALL things through Christ which strengthened me.”
- Spend time praising the Lord with music playing
- Sing worship songs
- List your blessings
- Memorize the Word
I am so thankful for the peace of God. It is available 24/7, BUT I have to discipline my mind to focus on trusting in the Lord instead of the circumstances that threaten my peace.
1 John 4:4 “…greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.”